Suwon is the remaining completely walled city in South Korea. It is traditionally known as “The City of Filial Piety”. Located just an hour train ride from Seoul. Hwaseong (Brilliant Castle/ Fortress) is the wall surrounding the center of Suwon. It Hwaseong Fortress was built over two and a half years, from 1794 to 1796. Hwaseong Fortress was constructed under the guidance of Yu Hyeong-Won and Jeong Yak-Yong, and is believed to have been constructed very scientifically.
The fortress wall was built using Seokjae and Jeondol (bricks) and the holes between the bricks are just big enough to fire guns, arrows, or long spears through in case of an attack.
The fortress was built as a display of the King’s filial piety towards his father Jangheonseja and to build a new pioneer city with its own economic power.
Suwon Hwaseong Cultural Festival takes place in autumn. It showcases different performances and events are held at the fortress every day.
How to get there:
There are two ways to get to Suwon from Seoul – the subway or KTX.
- via subway – takes 75 minutes from Seoul Station and it is crowded,
- via KTX
- To take KTX, go to Seoul Station and buy a ticket. To take the subway, line 1 to Suwon Station.
- It has assigned seats and takes 30 minutes and costs only about ₩3000.
Things to do:
Gukgung (Korean Traditional Archery)
– Basic understanding of Gukgung, demonstration of posture, and experience shooting with bow and arrow.
– Operating hours: 30 min. intervals beginning from 09:30 (excluding lunch hours 12:30-13:30)
– Location: Hwaseong Yeonmudae Post
Fee: 2,000 won (10 arrows per lesson)
* Available to visitors aged 7 and over / Maximum of 25-30 people can participate per lesson
* Lesson is subject to cancellation due to weather conditions such as rain or snow.
Hwaseong Fortress Tourist Trolley
A tourist trolley with a design inspired by the royal vehicle used by King Gojong and palanquins of the Joseon Dynasty
Operating hours: 10:00-16:30, operates 12 times a day in 30 min. intervals (excluding lunch hours 12:00-12:30)
Route: Yeonmudae Post – Hwahongmun Gate – Hwaseomun Gate – Paldalsan Mountain – Hwaseong Haenggung Palace – Paldalmun Traditional Market – Suwon Hwaseong Museum – Yeonmudae Post
Ticket Offices: Yeonmudae Post Ticket Office (+82-31-228-4686), Hwaseong Haeggung Palace Ticket Office (+82-31-228-4683)
Fees: Individual – Adults 3,000 won, Teenagers 2,000 won, Children 1,000 won / Group – Adults 2,400 won, Teenagers 1,600 won, Children 800 won) / Senior citizens (ages 65 and over) 1,500 won
* Trolley will not be in operation during rain or snow.
Bell of Hyowon – Bell Ringing Experience
Operating hours: Winter season (November-February) 09:00-17:00 / Summer Season (March-October) 09:00-18:00
Location: Paldalsan Mountain peak
Fees: 1-2 people 1,000 won (3 strikes) / 3-4 people 2,000 won (3 strikes)
Velotaxi / Electric Bicycle Taxi
Operating hours: Tuesday – Sunday 09:30-17:20 (operates 7 times a day, excluding lunch hours 12:20-13:30)
Location: Next to Tourist Information Desk at Hwaseong Fortress Square
Fees: Adults 5,000 won / Teenagers 3,000 won / Children 1,000 won
Course A (Hwaseong Fortress Square – Suwoncheon Stream – Hwahongmun Gate – Janganmun Gate – Hwaseomun Gate – Hwaseong Fortress Square)
Course B (Hwaseong Fortress Square – Janganmun Gate – Jangan Park – Hwaseomun Gate – House of Na Hye-seok – Hwaseong Fortress Square)
Course C (Hwaseong Fortress Square – Beautiful Haenggung Street – Tongdak (Chicken) Street – Suwoncheon Stream – Hwahongmun Gate – Hwaseong Fortress Square)
* Free of charge for infants accompanied by an adult.
* Departs at 30 min. of every hour (three bikes depart at the same time with 10 min. breaks)
* Velotaxi and Electric Bicycle Taxis will not be in operation during snow or rain and in winter.
※ Two people maximum per bike. The one-time ride takes approx. 50 min.
Operating hours: 09:30-21:00
Location: Suwon Hwaseong Fortress Changnyongmun Gate Parking Lot Area
Fees: Adults 18,000 won / Teenagers 17,000 won / Children 15,000 won
Inquiries: Flying Suwon Corp. (+82-31-247-1300)
* Group (12 people or more) – 10% discount (not applicable with other discounts)
* Schedule is subject to change due to unforeseen circumstances. Inquiry in advance is highly recommended.
Animation Video – Tour of Hwaseong Fortress with Hwaseong the Mascot
Operating hours: November-February 09:00-16:30 / March-October 09:30-17:00
Location: Underground Media Room in Hwaseong Fortress Hongbogwan (Promotion) building
Fees: Free of charge (first-come, first-served / 65 seats total)
Inquiries: Suwon Hwaseong Fortress Hongbogwan (+82-31-290-3601)
* Must arrive at least 3 minutes before show time. At least 4 people required for screening.
* Schedule is subject to change due to events or unforeseen circumstances. Inquiry in advance is highly recommended.